Bike rides in Tromsø - longer day tours and weekend trips, distance over 40 km
The nature of the Troms region is varied and full of opportunities for different cycling adventures. You can discover everything from quiet country roads (both sealed and gravel) where you ride in the forest and open areas, between majestic mountains, along narrow coastal roads, around fjords and out on islands - which inspire idyllic island-hopping bike trips.
You can extend many trips or make them shorter by taking a bus, speedboat or ferry part of the way.
You can head all the way from Tromsø to Sommarøy, Tromvik, Kvaløyvågen or Hansnes / Dåfjord, or you can ride to Oldervik, Sjursnes, Breivikeidet, Lyngseidet, Laksvatn or Nordkjosbotn on the mainland.
You can choose from many (50-150km) day or weekend trips in different directions from Tromsø. To ride shorter distances, you can consider taking parts of the way by bus. You can check the schedules, prices and plan your route here.
Please note: It is not possible to guarantee bike transport on the bus in advance but it is always possible when there is enough space on the bus.
Below you can see a few examples of shorter trips in the vicinity of Tromsø (distances one way):
- Kaldfjord – Tromvik: 34km, 350m elevation (if you start in Tromsø add 15/18km and some more elevation/vertical metres)
- Kaldfjord – Sommarøy: 41km or 60km if cycled around the southern coast of the Kvaløya island (if you start in Tromsø add 15/18km and some vertical metres)
- Tromsø – Belvika: 23km 377m elevation or 27km and 290m elevation. Here you can take a ferry to beautiful Vengsøya and spend some time on the island
- Kaldfiord – Hakøya: 8km, 40m elevation
If you are new to longer trips with touring or road bikes, it's a great idea to ride both the islands and inland:
- Tromsø-Skarsfjord-Tromsø: 103km (one incline up 180m) (one tunnel under the sea, 60m long)
- Tromsø-Hansnes-Tromsø: 126km (one incline up 110m) (one tunnel under the sea, 60m long)
- Tromsø-Kvaløyvågen-Tromsø: 79km (flat)
- Tromsø-Tromvik-Tromsø: 100km (one incline up 190m)
- Tromsø-Sommarøy-Straumsbukta-Tromsø: 131km (one incline up 150m)
- Tromsø-Mortenhals-Malangseidet-Tromsø: 142km (one incline 150m) (one tunnel under the sea, 100m long)
- Tromsø-Selnes-Laksvatn-Tromsø: 124km
- Tromsø-Breivikeidet-Sjursnes-Tromsø: 123km
- Tromsø-Lyngseidet-Nordkjosbotn-Tromsø: 201km
- Tromsø-Oldervik-Tromsø: 88km (one incline up 150m)
West from Tromsø - Kvaløya
At Eidkjosen, you can visit Eide Handel, one of the oldest grocery stores in the region. They have a cafe and pizza restuarant where you can enjoy a hot lunch or dinner (very reasonably priced too) and ice cream on those warmer days. The shop is locally well known for selling local produce, including whale and reindeer.
In Ersfjordbotn we highly recommend you to visit Bryggejentene and try their famous carrot cake.
Tromsø Villmarkssenter opens their cafe during the summer months. There you can spend some time there with huskies and play with the puppies.
East from Tromsø on the mainland, you pass several local farms, among them Widding Gård where you can buy locally produced eggs and vegetables on the spot (direction Ramfjord).
If you are looking for a weekend trip, ride around the Southern part of Kvaløya. You start and finish in Tromsø and stay overnight in Sommarøy. The Sommarøy Arctic Hotel is a good place to stay or start the tour to Senja!
Having few days to ride around Tromsø we would definitely recommend you to consider spending some time on Senja.
For one day longer excursion or 2 days ride we recommend route Tromsø - Lysnes (Senja) - Botnhamn (Senja) - Brensholmen (Kvaløya) - Tromsø.
You can take the morning speedboat to Lysnes on Senja and cycle on Senja before you go to Sommarøya and cycle back to Tromsø.
A round trip by ferry to Lysnes on the island of Senja takes approximately 2 hours, and is possible on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. The fare is ca 260,- NOK (price can change). You can take the boat just one way of course.
The ferry between Senja and Kvaløya departs several times each day during the summer.
A speedboat between Tromsø and Finnsnes had departures scheduled several times every day.
For more details about all the tours, we recommend visiting our Tromsø Outdoor BikeMap profile