How to stay warm during your holidays in Tromsø
Even the most magical of holidays can be ruined if you feel uncomfortable and cold. Having the correct clothing and footwear will make your time in the north much more enjoyable. Your clothes must be suitable for the weather conditions and planned activities.
We recommend all Tromsø visitors wear layered clothing. The inner layers should include:
- Base layer (wool/synthetic)
- Thin mid-layer (wool/fleece) and
- Thick third layer - a synthetic puffer or down jacket
The outer layer must be windproof and waterproof. If you have no way of keeping out the wind, it will be difficult to stay warm.
By dressing in these layers, you will stay warm on your city walks, northern light trips, ski/snowshoe trips, boat trips and other outdoor activities.
- The air and your blood keep you warm; your clothes should be loose to assist comfort, and good blood circulation and trap air to keep you warm.
- Even the warmest shoes will not keep you warm if they are too small or if you wear too many layers of socks. If your socks feel too tight they slow down the blood circulation in your feet.
- You need to dry your boots well after every use. Wet, damp boots will not be warm!
- Even wearing warm clothes you still need to move around to stay warm. You cannot stand still outside for hours without moving to stay warm.
- When you are active, you warm up quickly. It is good to have a small backpack for the clothes you do not need to wear at the moment but may need to put on later, the lightweight, puffer jacket, for example.
- Have a spare pair of socks and gloves with you in case these get wet.
- Plan and make sure you get enough rest and drink a lot of water. Put drinking water in a thermos bottle so it doesn't freeze. You can also bring some hot tea or juice. If you are tired, you will feel the cold easier.
Cold-weather clothing is often included in activities such as dog sledding, snowmobile driving and reindeer safaris. Remember to inquire about this when talking with your tour operator. Some Northern Light excursions also offer a thermal suit and winter boots, but not all of them.
Tromsø Outdoor provides outer clothes for adults, and children and in large sizes - up to 9XL (app.186cm belt length for trousers and jacket).
To keep you warm during your stay in Tromsø we offer two kinds of clothing packages. Both of these two packages will keep you warm while outside. A perfect solution in case you do not own winter gear or want to save luggage space. However, remember that you still need to bring your base and mid-layer clothes or buy them on the spot.
- down jacket
- thermal pants
- winter boots
- mittens and hat
The Exclusive Arctic Clothing Package consists of a 2-piece set (jacket and thermal pants) and is the more comfortable option for a longer stay. It is more city-friendly and will keep you warm in cold weather during excursions.
- thermal suit
- winter boots
- mittens and hat
The Arctic Clothing Package (one-piece warm suit) is great if you need an additional warm and windproof shell for outdoor activities or Northern light chases. One suit prevents snow from entering into your inner layers - even in strong winds and if you plan to play in the snow, lie down, slide etc.
Prices for adults/children below 16yo
Arctic clothing package
1 day NOK 315,-/200,-
2 days NOK 440,-/280,-
3 days NOK 540,-/350,-
4 days NOK 620,-/400,-
5 days NOK 690,-/450,-
Every next day NOK 70,-/50,-
Exclusive arctic clothing package
1 day NOK 430,-/280,-
2 days NOK 590,-/380,-
3 days NOK 730,-/470,-
4 days NOK 830,-/540,-
5 days NOK 910,-/595,-
Every next day NOK 90,-/60,-
One-day rental = any time up to 24 hours.
To book Tromsø Outdoor Winter Clothes and Footwear in advance please find the size of the clothes for you and use the Tromsø Outdoor website to order articles for yourself. You can also rent on the spot when you arrive as long as we have clothes/sizes available.
PICK-UP OR DELIVERY OF RENTALS
Tromsø Outdoor is open daily You can pick up and return rentals during our opening hours.
If you need your rental delivered to your hotel, you can order this service online with your other rentals or at a later date. This service must be ordered a minimum of 5 days before the delivery day. A service fee applies.
If you require a delivery, you will need to complete and sign the equipment rental contract before we deliver the order for you. You need to fill out, sign and scan the contract and send it back to email@example.com together with a picture/copy of your ID. We will send an empty form to you when we register your reservation.